Although hockey is the national sport in India, cricket is in the blood of its inhabitants. Cricket in India is not just a game. This is a real cult, moreover, it is a holiday that is equally celebrated by all Indians. Cricketers, especially members of the national team, are treated like gods by Indians and worshiped. It was this game that was able to connect all parts of the country and unite all its inhabitants, becoming the national love and favorite pastime of every Indian.
Speaking about the best cricket players in the entire history of the formation of this sport in India, of course, it is impossible to single out only one athlete. There is a lot of controversy around this issue, as well as about which cricket team is the best – be it DC vs KKR or other equally famous and popular teams participating in the Indian Premier League or other large-scale competitions. But it is precisely possible to determine the list of those players who have made the greatest contribution to the development of cricket both in India itself and outside it, at the international level.
The best Indian cricketers of all time
Among all the Indian athletes who represented their country at the international level, or fought for the palm on a national scale, it is worth highlighting the following well-known names:
- Ravishankar Jayadritha Shastri. India’s current coach, Ravishankar Jayadrita Shastri, is well known in the world of cricket. He played for the national team from 1981 to 1982 in both Tests and ODI formats. However, he started his sports career as a bowler but later turned into an all-rounder.
- Kapil Dev. The former captain of the Indian cricket team, he not only won the World Cup in 1983 but also captured many hearts. He was also the team’s coach in October 1999 and August 2000. Kapil Dev holds the record for most wickets won and he retired in 1994.
- Rahul Dravid. Rahul Sharad Dravid is a former Indian cricketer and team captain. He is known as a great batsman and is popularly called “The Wall” as he is considered the greatest cricketer ever. He is the head coach of the under-19 cricket team. His total score in international cricket is nearly 25,000.
- Surav Ganguly. Surav Chandidas Ganguly, aka Dada, is the former captain of the Indian national team. He is currently President of the Bengal Cricket Association and President of the Editorial Board of Wisden India. He was regarded as one of the leading batsmen, as well as one of the greatest cricket team captains.
- Anil Kumble. A former Indian cricketer and bowler, he was also the captain of the Indian cricket team. He has been playing Tests and ODIs for over 18 years. He is a bowler who has taken 619 wickets in Test cricket and also remains the third-highest wicket-taker of all time.
- Zahir Khan. Former cricketer who played in all formats such as ODI, Tests, and T20 for India from 2000 to 2014. He was the second-best Indian pace bowler in Test cricket behind Kapil Dev. He was known for his bowling pace and especially for his perfect yorkers.
- MS Doni. MS Dhoni, also known as Mahi, is an Indian cricketer who captained the India national team from 2007 to 2016 and the Test from 2008 to 2014. Right-handed, mid-level batsman, and excellent wicket-keeper.
- Virat Kohli. Virat Kohli is currently the captain of the India cricket team. He has many records to his credit. He is considered one of the best cricket players. His record list includes the fastest century of any Indian ODI cricketer.
With time, cricket in India has become more developed and popularized, with new and promising young athletes entering the industry. Maybe very shortly, this list of the best of the best will be replenished with new names who will become true legends of Indian sports, and cricket in particular.