Southampton’s teenage midfielder James Ward-Prowse has been linked with a host of big clubs this summer including Tottenham and Aston Villa.
James Ward-Prowse is a Southampton player who has represented the England Under-21 side. This season he has been instrumental in Saints’ rise to the top of the Premier League. So far this campaign Ward-Prowse has scored five goals in the league, which has helped Southampton climb to the number one spot in the league. The 19-year-old is also in fantastic form in the Europa League, where he has scored four goals in six appearances.
Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa are two of the most tactically astute Premier League clubs. In the last several years, both have employed managers who are all about the details. Tottenham have Mauricio Pochettino, who loves to analyze every single thing that happens on the pitch and make sure that nothing is missed. Aston Villa have Steve Bruce, who has explained that he spends more time watching replays of key moments on the pitch than playing the game itself.. Read more about chelsea transfer news and let us know what you think.
For the main European leagues, the summer transfer window is entering its last month, which means the top teams are trying to make a statement in the market before the new season starts. Check out the newest rumors below, then go here to view all of the official agreements.
Spurs and Villa are interested in Saints’ Ward-Prowse.
According to The Telegraph, Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa are both interested in Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse.
The 26-year-old Saints captain has long been linked with a transfer to Villa Park, but it is thought that Spurs have been fans of the England international for some time and will make an offer for him next week.
The midfielder has four years remaining on his current contract and has appeared in the Premier League over 260 times since joining the club’s youth. The Saints are said to be interested in retaining him this summer.
Aston Villa have added Ward-Prowse to an already busy summer schedule at Villa Park. After breaking the English transfer record by signing Jack Grealish for £100 million, they have added Emiliano Buendia, Leon Bailey, and Danny Ings, a former teammate of Ward-Prowse.
Tottenham are on the lookout for a second signing under new manager Nuno Espirito Santo, after bringing in Atalanta centre-back Cristian Romero earlier this summer.
Ward-Prowse had a strong season with Southampton last season, making 38 appearances and scoring eight goals and seven assists while creating problems with his work-rate, passing, and set-piece skills. It all came to a head with an England call-up ahead of the European Championships.
– Watch ESPN FC every day on ESPN+ (U.S. only) – LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, and more on ESPN+ – If you don’t have ESPN, you’re out of luck. Get immediate access
Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse may be on his way out. Getty Images/Southampton FC/Matt Watson
GOSSIP ON PAPER
– Following the acquisition of Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe hopes to leave Paris Saint-Germain this summer or next year. Mbappe has requested the club to let him leave, according to French journalist Thibaud Vezirian, and has said that he does not want to play beside Messi. Mbappe has long been linked with a move to Real Madrid, and earlier reports have suggested that if they listen to bids at all, PSG would want at least €180 million for Mbappe’s transfer. Mbappe’s contract ends in 2022, and he could earn up to €20 million each year.
– According to Football London, Arsenal are close to signing Sheffield United goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale. The 23-year-old England international has been linked with a transfer to Arsenal, who are looking for a replacement for Bernd Leno. A deal of approximately £30 million is said to have been reached, with the Blades receiving an advance payment of £24 million.
– According to Sky Sports, Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger is considering his options for the future, with PSG and Real Madrid both interested in the centre-back. The 28-year-current old’s contract expires in a year, but he has yet to agree on a new term with the Blues, knowing that he may join for overseas teams on a pre-contract deal in January. Chelsea and Thomas Tuchel are said to view him as an important part of their ambitions, and he will continue to play this season despite the fact that his next transfer may be significant for his career.
– Fiorentina have set a deadline for bids for striker Dusan Vlahovic, who has been linked with Arsenal and Tottenham. According to Corriere dello Sport, the Serie A club would only consider bids until August 15th, after which they will reject any additional offers and proceed as planned. Due to his contract expiring and discussions about a potential extension, the 21-year-old has been the subject of a lot of transfer rumors. Other attackers’ departures, such as Harry Kane or Romelu Lukaku, are said to have triggered a transfer domino effect, resulting in a club making an approach for Vlahovic.
– According to Calciomercato, Newcastle United are stepping up their chase of AS Roma winger Carles Perez. Jose Mourinho’s team is believed to need to sell certain players on in order to see some transfer money arrive. The team of Steve Bruce thinks it can make a low-cost bid for the Spaniard, who may struggle to fit in at Roma.
– Internazionale want Denzel Dumfries to replace Achraf Hakimi, who joined PSG earlier in the year. According to Fabrizio Romano, the Nezazzuri have made a €12 million opening bid to PSV Eindhoven in the Netherlands. Everton were also connected with the Netherlands international, who had a successful summer with his country at the European Championships. PSV is expected to demand a greater price for the player before releasing him.
Southampton have produced a number of players over the years who have been snapped up by top English clubs, and James Ward-Prowse is just the latest. Spurs and Aston Villa are reportedly interested in the Saints academy graduate, but could they be the only ones?. Read more about espn transfer news now and let us know what you think.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- espn transfer news now
- chelsea transfer news
- arsenal transfer news
- liverpool transfer news
- sky sports transfer